Advising FAQs

Welcome to Global Studies!

How do I declare a Global Studies major (GLST)?
To declare the Global Studies major and/or minor, you will need to visit the Arts and Sciences Advising Center in Oldfather Hall, Room 107 and fill out a CDMS (Change of Major) form. You can call for an appointment at 402-472-4190.

If you declare a major or minor in Global Studies, please see our advisor, Emira Ibrahimpasic, soon thereafter. Emira can help you fulfill the specific requirements and choose the best courses. You can reach her at 402-472-2150 or to schedule an appointment.

How do I talk to an advisor?
Contact the Global Studies advisor at 402-472-2150 or to schedule an appointment.

How many hours do I need for a GLST degree?
You need 120 hours. Please check requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Can I minor in Global Studies?
Yes. You need 18 hours; six must be at the 300-400 level. Please check the Undergraduate Catalog for more information.

I want to double major. What do I do?
Global Studies complements many areas. To double major, you'll need to check with an advisor in the field you are interested in. You can find information about current department advisors on the A&S Advising Center webpage.

What if I have questions about my overall degree?
You will need to go to the A&S Advising Office located at 107 Oldfather Hall or call 402-472-4190 for an appointment.

What can I do with a Global Studies degree?
Our graduates work in all kinds of dynamic fields. Here are a few examples:

  • Civil Service
  • International Business
  • National Security Council
  • Military
  • Government
  • Non-profit Organizations
  • Politics
  • Public Health
  • Public Relations
  • Community & Social Service Agencies

More student success stories can be found at Career Services. Contact Career Services to discuss your own career goals!

Where can I find information about internships and job opportunities?
Contact Career Services for current information about careers and internships, or visit their webpage for exploring career, internship and job options. Information can also be found on our website.

I'm graduating. What do I need to do?
Congratulations! You need to file for graduation with Graduation Services at 109 Canfield, early on in the in the semester you plan on graduating. The filing deadline is always listed in the UNL Academic Calendar. It is always a good idea to meet with both the Global Studies advisor in 314 Seaton Hall and with the Arts and Sciences Advising Center in 107 Oldfather to double check that all requirements are met.